We started the week off Saturday heading up to Gunnison National Forest in Almont, CO. It was about a 4 ½ hour drive for us and was mostly beautiful, except for some spot that looks too much like New Mexico for out liking. We met up with Robert and Lisa at a great campsite centrally located to everything we wanted to see and do.


We started out Sunday by heading up to Taylor Reservoir. There were lots of trails for ATV and Jeeps. We took a short trail up to an old mining village. It was a great spot back in the woods.


Monday we headed up to Crested Butte and Kebler Pass. This is a beautiful area. We were there at the perfect time to see hundreds of aspens changing colors.

Tuesday we headed back down to Ouray and Silverton and saw many more beautiful colors. This is probably my favorite place I’ve been. It is the perfect area in for me. We headed on back to Farmington that evening while Robert & Lisa went to Pagosa Springs.Jonathan and I decided we didn’t want to go back to work after that so we looked only for all our options. Jonathan was pushing hard for Vegas, but I wasn’t going for it. We finally decided Wednesday morning we would head to Denver. I had only driven through a few time and never seen the city. After spending the morning on the computer we had a hotel booked and where on our way by lunch time.
It took about 6 hours, but we made it there by dinner time. The first night we went to a place Jonathan loved while he was in Golden for 3 weeks in 2008 for training with Conoco. It is called The Keg and it is amazing. It is a steakhouse that specializes in Prime Rib. We both obviously had the Prime Rib. Jonathan got escargot for an appetizer and jumbo tiger shrimp with his steak. I had my steak with a salad, veggies, potatoes and fresh horseradish and red wine of course! I could have eaten there every night.
Thursday we headed out early to find the Denver Art Museum downtown. This was the main reason we decided to go to Denver. There is a King Tut exhibit that we both really want to see. Once we found it and a meter to park at we went inside to get our tickets. A group did not all show up so a man was given out all the extras to everyone that walked in for free with the upgrade to the audio headset tour. He was very nice and we were very appreciative. We went and moved the car to the parking garage and headed to the exhibit. The exhibit was awesome. There were artifacts from all the pharaohs but the main attraction were artifacts actually from Tut’s tomb, some that had never left Egypt before. It was really cool.
After the museum, we decided to head to the Denver Aquarium for lunch at their restaurant and to check out the fish. We had a great time. I took a LOT of pictures and videos during our time there.



We headed back to the hotel for a while and then went out to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We both stuffed ourselves and got cheesecake to go for later that night when we weren’t so full. Jonathan got Key Lime and I had a Lemon and Raspberry that was way better than his! J
The next day we slept in and had Chicago Pizza for lunch before heading to Golden, CO to the Coors Brewery for the tour. The tour is pretty cool, starting with a quick ride through town and some history. The tour is free and self guided with audio headsets. Jonathan had done it a few times from when he had training there so we didn’t take too long getting through. I’m not going to pretend that the main reason to go, at least for most, is to get your free sample off the line and three free full samples at the end of any beer they brew there. It was a fun experience. I drank 1 in the time Jonathan drank his 3. They were free, so I didn’t feel bad.
We headed back to the hotel for a while then went shopping for the afternoon. The Colorado Mills Mall is huge and we walked the entire thing. Then we made a quick round of the mall near our dinner destination for the night. We ate at a sushi restaurant that Jonathan tried before. It was great! After dinner we checked out the REI and Guitar Center nearby. Jonathan got a new guitar case and some other goodies for the new guitar he has.
We headed back Saturday morning and got back in time to get Daphne from the Kennel and get cleaned up before the OU game.
GREAT VACATION!!
Tomorrow morning I am getting my wisdom teeth out at 7:30 am. Jonathan is taking the day off to be my nurse. I’m hoping it goes well and I don’t need a lot of pain killers afterwards.
We have more-or-less planned out OK Thanksgiving trip. Coming to OK on Saturday before and leaving the Saturday or Sunday after.
It took about 6 hours, but we made it there by dinner time. The first night we went to a place Jonathan loved while he was in Golden for 3 weeks in 2008 for training with Conoco. It is called The Keg and it is amazing. It is a steakhouse that specializes in Prime Rib. We both obviously had the Prime Rib. Jonathan got escargot for an appetizer and jumbo tiger shrimp with his steak. I had my steak with a salad, veggies, potatoes and fresh horseradish and red wine of course! I could have eaten there every night.
Thursday we headed out early to find the Denver Art Museum downtown. This was the main reason we decided to go to Denver. There is a King Tut exhibit that we both really want to see. Once we found it and a meter to park at we went inside to get our tickets. A group did not all show up so a man was given out all the extras to everyone that walked in for free with the upgrade to the audio headset tour. He was very nice and we were very appreciative. We went and moved the car to the parking garage and headed to the exhibit. The exhibit was awesome. There were artifacts from all the pharaohs but the main attraction were artifacts actually from Tut’s tomb, some that had never left Egypt before. It was really cool.
After the museum, we decided to head to the Denver Aquarium for lunch at their restaurant and to check out the fish. We had a great time. I took a LOT of pictures and videos during our time there.




We headed back to the hotel for a while and then went out to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We both stuffed ourselves and got cheesecake to go for later that night when we weren’t so full. Jonathan got Key Lime and I had a Lemon and Raspberry that was way better than his! JThe next day we slept in and had Chicago Pizza for lunch before heading to Golden, CO to the Coors Brewery for the tour. The tour is pretty cool, starting with a quick ride through town and some history. The tour is free and self guided with audio headsets. Jonathan had done it a few times from when he had training there so we didn’t take too long getting through. I’m not going to pretend that the main reason to go, at least for most, is to get your free sample off the line and three free full samples at the end of any beer they brew there. It was a fun experience. I drank 1 in the time Jonathan drank his 3. They were free, so I didn’t feel bad.

We headed back to the hotel for a while then went shopping for the afternoon. The Colorado Mills Mall is huge and we walked the entire thing. Then we made a quick round of the mall near our dinner destination for the night. We ate at a sushi restaurant that Jonathan tried before. It was great! After dinner we checked out the REI and Guitar Center nearby. Jonathan got a new guitar case and some other goodies for the new guitar he has.
We headed back Saturday morning and got back in time to get Daphne from the Kennel and get cleaned up before the OU game.
GREAT VACATION!!
Tomorrow morning I am getting my wisdom teeth out at 7:30 am. Jonathan is taking the day off to be my nurse. I’m hoping it goes well and I don’t need a lot of pain killers afterwards.
We have more-or-less planned out OK Thanksgiving trip. Coming to OK on Saturday before and leaving the Saturday or Sunday after.
No comments:
Post a Comment